volca modular’s modules are connected via the included pin cables, allowing a diverse range of combinations. The unit's compact chassis provides 50 patch points. Inputs and outputs are color-coded for recognition at a glance, and the signals are also marked by symbols to indicate audio, control, gate or trigger. Normally, each signal is connected according to its use, but on the volca modular, signal levels are universally compatible between modules, allowing hidden possibilities to arise from patching that defies common sense. Twenty pin cables are included, and also included is a reference sheet explaining each patch point and providing basic examples of patching.
Sixteen-step sequencer that can automate parameters
While the volca modular is a semi-modular synth, it is equipped with a full-fledged 16-step sequencer providing a wide range of functions, letting you enjoy automatic performance even when used stand-alone.
Using the 16 buttons familiar from the volca series, you can perform step input or use the buttons as a keyboard for realtime recording. The pattern chaining function plays back multiple sequence patterns in succession, allowing you to connect up to 16 sequences with up to 32, 64, or even 256 steps to create large-scale development.
The motion sequence function records knob movements, letting you add time-varying change to the sound. You can create loops, or use this function live for strikingly original performances. Up to 16 sequence patterns and sounds can be saved in the unit.
Also provided is an active step function which lets you play back while skipping the steps you specify. You can skip the latter half to produce a short loop, use an alternate time signature to create polyrhythms, and evolve sequence patterns in real time to create a dynamic performance.
Randomize function that can generate accidental ideas
The sequencer of the volca modular lets you specify randomization for notes, active steps, and micro tuning. Irregular phrases, rhythms, and scaling that would be unlikely to come to mind can be generated by applying randomness, letting the volca be a source of unknown ideas.
Two new modes added for sequence playback
Two new sequence modes have been added: bounce sequence mode which makes a round trip through the steps, and stochastic sequence mode which gradually proceeds while randomly moving forward and backward. Playing back a recorded sequence in a different form can add dramatic changes to your song or performance.
Musically advanced scales, keys, and micro tuning
Although the volca modular is a West Coast style synthesizer, it also provides flexible support for music as a contemporary instrument. You can choose from 14 types of scale including equal temperament. Since you can also specify the tonic key from which these scales start, you can play these scales in any key.
There's also a micro tuning function that lets you individually specify the pitch of each note. You can pursue your own unique music by performing in an original tuning with the pitch of individual notes raised or lowered.
Connectors that allow synchronized performance and external control
With a sync jack that allows easy connection to a KORG groove machine, you can connect the volca modular to another volca series unit, a minilogue, monologue, or prologue, an electribe, or the SQ-1, and enjoy sessions with the sequencer synchronized to the playback.
The CV IN jack for external control is a TRS mini stereo jack that lets you input two signals. The left channel can input a ±5V signal and the right channel can input a signal of 1V/oct (0–+6V) signal which is internally converted to pitch CV within the volca modular. Of course, each of these two signals can also be patched to control a module.
Compact, size, battery operation, and built-in speaker mean that you can take this unit anywhere and enjoy playing at any time.
See attached PDF for additional information.
- Keyboard: Multi touch Keyboard / Step key
- Synthsizer: Type: Analog synthesis, Maximum Polyphony: 1, Structure: 2 VCO (Triangle), 2 EG, 2 LPG, digital effect.
- Sequencer: 1 part, 16 steps, 8 recording patterns
- Connectors: Audio Output: Headphones (3.5mm stereo mini jack), Sync: Sync In (3.5mm monaural mini jack, Maximum input level: 20V), Sync Out (3.5mm monaural mini jack, Maximum Output level: 5V), Control In: CV-IN jack (TRS mini phone jack)
- Power: Power supply: AA alkaline battery ×6, AA nickel-metal hydride battery ×6 or AC adapter “KA-350” (optional), Battery Life: Approximately 10 hours (using alkaline batteries)
- Accessories: (sold separately): AC adapter (KA-350), SEQUENZ CB-4VOLCA hard shell case, SEQUENZ CC-VOLCA soft shell case, SQ-CABLE-6 sync cale
- Dimensions: (W x D x H): 193 × 115 × 39 mm / 7.61 x 4.54 x 1.54 inches
- Weight: 377 g / 0.83 lbs (Excluding batteries)
- Others:Included Items: AA alkaline battery ×6 (for verifying operation), Sync cable, Pin cable for patching 1 set, Module reference sheet